Cornell Language and Technology

exploring how technologies affect the way we talk, think and understand each other

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Presentations - Gender & Emotion

GENDER

You guys did a good job on your presentation. The “bunny ears” thing is pretty funny, and I will be interesting to see what other words you guys may find when doing a similar word analysis. It’s pretty amazing you guys found differences in men and women despite participants not even realizing they were there! It brings up a very interesting debate (and further research) about what’s causing this phenomenon linguistically, as well as what implications this may have for the recitation of instructions. I think it would be interesting to see if the linguistic analysis program could detect any of the gender linguistic differences. It would also be interesting to see if these results can be generalized in other mediums — namely FTF and over the phone. Knowing what you know now, it would be cool to see how adding the added cue of voice plays a role, as well as the non-verbal cues of FTF.

EMOTION

I was interested by your study because it seemed so intuitive, and I wanted to know if your hypotheses would prove true. Even though it don’t come out the way you wanted, I think that’s great too because you learned about another variable that might affect the process, which (I think, at least) is cool too.

I liked your presentation. It was clear overall and I enjoyed it (the color coding was a nice touch!). Good work relating things to Jeff’s study. I think people wanting to be amicable upon a first meeting as a face-related procedure definitely would explain your data. I know I would never want to express my sad emotions – especially upon first meeting someone – as I wouldn’t want one instance of my emotions to represent me as a person in someone else’s mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home