Cornell Language and Technology

exploring how technologies affect the way we talk, think and understand each other

Thursday, January 26, 2006

#1 Intro

Hi everyone, I'm sorry that my post is late - like Will, I also could not log into Blogger this morning. I guess I'll just jump into the post now:

I'm a junior Information Science and Fine Arts major, which means I'm in both AS and AAP. Doing two degrees is crazily hectic but the classes are really fun. What's also great is that I get to meet engineers, artists, and now Comm students! In Art I'm concentrating in Combined Media, which is mostly electronic imaging stuff. I was born in Texas, lived in Taiwan for awhile, then Texas again, and recently my family moved to Shanghai. Here's a random fact about Shanghai: sending a text message over the phone is cheaper than making a phone call, so you see people text messaging each other all the time. Hmm... my favorite movie is AI, but I know most people hated it. One of my favorite sites is explodingdog.com, where the artist takes prompts sent to him through email and makes a cute and sometimes ironic picture from it.

I'll end with a corny joke: Two atoms were talking. One says, "Oops, I think I lost an electron." The other says, "Are you sure?" The first one replies, "Yes, I'm positive!"

See you in class!

-Jennifer

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger jeff hancock said...

Hi jennifer,
I liked AI too, except for the last half hour. if they had ended it at the bottom of the water i think it would have been a near perfect movie.

and both you and christina make a good point about costs of txt msg vs. phone - in most countries its cheaper. raises interesting questions about "costs" as laid out by clark and brennan (1991). this adds another type of cost, a literal $ cost.

--jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home