Cornell Language and Technology

exploring how technologies affect the way we talk, think and understand each other

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Assignment #9

This past Sunday, about 100 juniors from my high school descended on Cornell for their college trip. These annual trips are organized by Stuyvesant High School's college office and generally attempt to visit 2 or 3 schools in one day (after Cornell, they went on to Binghamton). This time the trip fell on Cornell Days, and Cornell was unwilling to provide them with official tours, so they called on Stuy alumni to offer the kids some sort of a Cornell experience. I showed up, but as I was feeling sick I did little other than talk a bit with the students and the chaperones. The trip leader was Ms. Archie, a school administrator I've known since even before high school, and it was nice that she recognized me.
Things like these make me reflect on my past, my future, and everything in between. As a senior I'm especially prone to this, I guess. These kids didn't seem particularly excited to be on the trip, but I'm sure they were thinking of the new great beyond that Cornell appears to be. I wanted to tell them that they are mistaken, but why should I? No one made it any easier for me. I'm starting to think that high school, even more than college, shaped me into who I am, and it seems that things are about to come full circle.

1 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger jenny said...

Your statement that "I wanted to tell them that they are mistaken, but why should I? No one made it any easier for me." was very interesting to me. I often do this, but I've never thought of it in that way. Whenever I talk to someone that is thinking of coming to Cornell for either a graduate or undergraduate degree, I feel that I have a loyalty to make Cornell appear much more exciting than it really is, and it makes me wonder why.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home